- Added the thread ID to log files on Linux
- Changed the way interactive filter controls appear when there is only a single choice for the filter
- Added new Merge Cells and Split Cells options to the Cell Context Menu
- Changed the way the Exago-provided Storage Management assembly is loaded so that if the path in the Admin Console's Storage Management Assembly Location field is inaccessible, Exago will now default to the internal Storage Management implementation instead of displaying an error message
- Fixed an issue when Data Objects are included on a report, it is not obvious that the Add SQL button is not available until all Data Objects are removed
- Improved error messaging when a report is read-only because the CanEdit access flag is not enabled and a user attempts to edit it
- Changed the nomenclature of "Drag onto Canvas" interactive filters in the Dashboard Designer's Filters menu to be more intuitive
- Fixed an issue where moving data in a cell referenced by a chart to another cell would break the chart
- Fixed an issue where an error message would be displayed when including a custom column in a Group Footer section on a report with no Detail section
- Fixed an issue where a Dashboard Interactive Filter tile would erroneously display "No Data to Display" due to filter dependencies and tiles on the Dashboard
- Tweaked some styling on the Save menu in the Advanced Report Designer
- Fixed an issue with Scatter Charts in Dashboard tiles not prompting for their Y-Value when creating a new visualization
- Fixed an issue with new visualization and existing report tiles incorrectly displaying the Paging controls when added to the canvas
- Fixed an issue where the handle to resize the left pane (e.g. Report Tree, Data Field Pane) shrank to 1 px wide when the Dashboard Viewer is open
- Fixed an issue where the prompting parameter dropdown would open at the top of the list instead of near any entered search value
- Improved error messaging when a report times out by reaching the Max Report Execution Time (minutes) limit
- Fixed an issue where the Add Group drop zone in the ExpressView Designer would appear even when the ExpressView is read-only
- Reverted the order of the Report Viewer's Interactive Dock modules to the pre-v2021.1 order of Filters, Conditional Filters, Sorts then Columns
- Fixed an issue with handling @Parameter.Value@ and @Parameter.DisplayValue@ in the formula editors and formula bar
- Fixed an issue with unexpected SQL generation when data fields with similar names are included on a report and role level filtering is active
- Fixed an issue with SQL generation when advanced joining tables from two different Data Sources
- Fixed inconsistent application of the
AggCount()function when included in Group Footer sections versus Group Header sections with cell references
- Fixed an issue where an Advanced Report filter that was changed to Prompt for Value in the Filters dialog would not appear in the Dashboard Designer's Filters menu if the report is included on a Dashboard
- Fixed an issue where re-ordering the Groups or Values for a Dashboard visualization tile would not display those changes in the tile
- Fixed an issue where an error message would be displayed if a cloned data object was included on a report and the original data object had column tenancy applied to it
- Added new
smtp_timeoutsetting to the Scheduler Service configuration file
- Updated the Snowflake CData driver to version 20.0.7739.0
- Update the Redshift CData driver to 20.0.7654.0
- Fixed an issue where a legend would not display as expected for charts on a Dashboard
- Fixed an issue where conditional formatting would not be applied consistently to CrossTabs
- Fixed an issue where "Folder" was erroneously changed to "Data Object" for the Limit Reports and Visualizations to One Folder setting in the Admin Console
- Fixed an issue where the reference to an Existing Report tile would break in a Dashboard if the Advanced Report was renamed and the Dashboard was open in the Designer
- Fixed an issue with the placement of icons in the linked report/drilldown popup window
- Fixed an issue with Performance Logging where the "Exit" line for a Chained Report would appear before any of the component reports had been executed
- Fixed an issue where an error message would be inadvertently displayed to users when executing an ExpressView and that user does not have permission to edit that ExpressView
- Fixed an issue with Dashboard tile contents resizing incorrectly when closing the Report Tree/Main Menu
- Fixed an issue where an ExpressView could not be filtered on a custom column
- Fixed an issue with the handling of
max_job_execution_minutesin the Scheduler Service
- Fixed an issue where charts would display an error message if the data referenced in the chart is in a group header section and the chart is in the group footer section
- Fixed an issue in the Admin Console where clicking Apply twice in rapid succession might cause an error about duplicate objects or settings that already exist
- Fixed an issue with the Storage Management GetCacheKey() method would not return the ReportListCacheKey as expected
- Fixed an issue where Infinite Scrolling would not work correctly with Remote Execution enabled
- Fixed an issue where reports could not be executed in a web farm environment with Remote Execution enabled unless using sticky sessions
- Fixed an issue where long column name labels would overflow their container in the Report Viewer
- Fixed an issue where Column Sorts would not work as expected in the Report Viewer
- Fixed an issue where removing one of the Custom Functions associated with the new Quick Functions would cause an error in the Admin Console
- Fixed an issue with a minimum height being applied to the Filters module in the Report Viewer's Interactive Dock even when there were only a small number of filter values
- Fixed an issue where a Linked Report from a chart would not work in Internet Explorer
- Fixed an issue where an unhelpful error message would be displayed when including a cell reference inside of an aggregate function and the referenced cell is also an aggregate
- Fixed an issue where server events that reference .NET assemblies would pass previously referenced values in a static-dynamic configuration file
- Added capability to support multiple embedder origins in Cross-Origin Resource Sharing environments. Added two new Applications Settings nodes: AccessControlAllowCredentials and CorsAllowedOrigins
- Including custom columns on a report no longer disqualifies it from Database Aggregation
- Added support for Database Aggregation on Elasticsearch Data Sources
- The Linux installer will now install Mono version 6.8 when requested during the installation process
- Admin Console > General > Feature/UI Settings > Allow Editing ExpressView with Live Data now defaults to True
- Added the
/rest/schedulesv2endpoints, to replace the legacy
- "Suppress Duplicates" has been renamed to "Hide Repeated Values"
- Fixed an issue that prevented using report-level parameters in the Custom SQL Object editor
- Fixed an issue that would make the Canvas menu appear unexpectedly, or even clear the Dashboard Canvas when clicking on the Undo button in the Dashboard Designer
- Fixed an issue where a visualization would not fit in the cell as expected even when the Fit to Cell checkbox was checked and the cell width was less than 100 pixels
- Fixed an issue where visualization tiles on Dashboards would not load as expected or display an error when Admin Console > General > Feature/UI Settings > Fields Enabled in Data Fields Tree is set to Direct joins only
- Fixed an issue where changing an Existing Advanced Report tile's Advanced Filters would not display the Refresh Reminder icon as expected
- Fixed an issue where an error message would appear if using the AutoSum feature in a Report Footer section and Admin Console > General > Database Settings > Aggregate and Group in Database is set to True
- Fixed an issue where the ExpressView Save dialog would erroneously say the report was blank and could not be saved if it contained a Data Object with a special character in its name
- Fixed an issue where the report ID of the last report in the chain instead of the report ID of the Chained Report itself would appear in performance logs
- Fixed an issue where visualizations in an Existing Advanced Report tile on a Dashboard would undesirably resize if the Dashboard was loading in another tab than the one currently in focus
- Increased the number of file watchers on Linux when using Mono versions greater than 5.14 to improve performance
- Fixed an issue where the
Now()function would always return 12:00 AM when used on an ExpressView
- Fixed an issue where the
DateAdd()function would add or subtract days, not weeks when passing w as the value of the Interval argument
- Fixed an issue with incorrect SQL generation when joining two different data sources and one of the data sources included a vertical table
- Fixed an issue where data fields originating from unique Data Sources could not be added to an ExpressView if Remote Execution was enabled in the environment
- Fixed an issue with visualization creation on an ExpressView that has three or more groups
- Fixed an issue where non-numeric totals would be included when initially creating an ExpressView visualization
- Made some changes to the way the "report already exists" message is displayed in the Advanced Report Designer when trying to save a report with a name that already exists in the system
- Fixed an issue where a confusing error message would be displayed when attempting to sort an Advanced Report on a custom column
- Fixed an issue where a data field of type bit being included in a Group Footer section from the same Data Object as the group by field caused SQL generation errors
- Fixed an issue where the OnReportExecuteInit Server Event would not be triggered for scheduled report executions
- Fixed an issue where an error message would be displayed, and an incorrect value would be displayed when including a Custom SQL Data Object on a report with a parameter in the SQL statement that references a Parameter Dropdown Object
- Fixed an issue where a Dashboard Visualization tile's Save as Advanced Report Tile Menu option would not respect the Admin Console > General > Feature/UI Settings > Allow Creation/Editing of Advanced Reports setting
- Updated error messaging that appears in the logs when the system is unable to establish a connection with Storage Management
- Fixed an issue where the join relation type would not be properly restored when clicking the Recreate icon in the Report Designer Joins dialog
- Fixed an issue that would cause the screen to go black on mobile devices when exporting an ExpressView as a PDF
- Fixed an issue that would cause an error message to be displayed when filtering on a formula that includes the
- Fixed an issue where changing a Data Object's Alias would break filter formulas
- Fixed an issue where a report's Setup Data would appear unexpectedly throughout the body of a report if General Options > Include Setup Info was set to Bottom in the Report Designer options and the report qualified for Incremental Loading
- Section menus will now close as expected when scrolling the Report Designer's Design Grid vertically
- Fixed a visual styling issue with the Report Designer's toolbar
- Fixed an issue where saving a report with a duplicate name would silently fail instead of properly displaying a warning message to the user
- Fixed an issue with the handling of Excel template files causing an error message in certain circumstances
- Fixed an issue that allowed items from the Report Designer's toolbar Insert menu to be added to CrossTabs
- Fixed an issue where cell borders are not aligned in PDF exports although they are aligned as expected in the Report Viewer
- Fixed an issue where the
Switch()function was unable to differentiate between 0 and null
- Fixed an issue where the child report of a Linked Report relationship would not display with the correct page formatting as expected when strong>Admin Console > General > Feature/UI Settings > Linked Report Display is New Tab
- Fixed an issue where the Export Settings in the ExpressView Designer would display all possible export file types even if some had been disabled in the Admin Console
We are proud to release Exago BI v2021.1!
Check out the list of new features and other changes below.
The ExpressView Design experience has been completely re-imagined—from a new report layout, new themes and exporting formats to new summary building tools and two new chart types!
The Designer retains its simple drag-and-drop interface but presents data in a new table format that expands from left-to-right and top-to-bottom. Summarizing at the group and report level can be done in as few as two clicks of the mouse. Adding a chart requires just one more click.
New Quick Functions transform data from the data sources with two clicks, without having to write a formula. Formula columns can also work in conjunction with Quick Functions to tailor the analysis of data quickly. A number of Quick Functions are built-in to the application, and administrators may add their own at any time.
New formatting and theming controls empower users to create beautiful, professional looking reports in as few as one or two clicks. These modifications also carry through to exported files (PDF, Excel and RTF formats).
When the Incremental Loading feature is enabled, a link explaining the partial data set is displayed instead of an icon.
A maximum of seven groups may be added to an ExpressView. For existing ExpressView opened in the new Designer, no new groups may be added until less than 7 groups are on the report.
Advanced Reports Overhaul
Like ExpressView, Advanced Reports have been given a fresh new look in both the Report Designer and Report Viewer tools.
The Advanced Report Wizard has been removed. Now, when creating a new report, users will be brought directly to the Report Designer and prompted to add Data Objects (formerly known as Categories). Once users add their Data Objects, they are able to begin designing and building immediately in any order or workflow that suits them.
The design grid has a new look and new interaction points — such as the new Add Section and Select All buttons and cell highlighting when editing formulas in the Formula Bar. The Row, Column and Section menus are easier to access.
Clicking on a row or column header will select all of the cells in that row or column.
A new indicator appears above the Save icon and in the Designer's user interface tab in the Report Designer's toolbar to indicate unsaved changes pending to be saved.
Controls on the toolbar have been rearranged to make them easier to find. The Sorts and Filters icons now have dedicated toolbar icons. To change the Data Objects on the report, use the new Manage Data Objects button in the Data Objects pane. Insert charts, gauges, maps, images and others by using the new consolidated Insert menu.
Fixed an issue where the Font dropdown in the Advanced Report Designer would not open instantly on click.
The Report Tree in the Linked Report dialog is now searchable by the Report Name.
The modules of the Interactive Dock (the left pane in the Report Viewer) work differently — they are easier to access and match the design of the rest of the application. The column headers are always visible at the top of the window and a new Report Viewer Option can turn them off on a report-by-report basis.
A new Open Dock and Close Dock icon appears in the Report Viewer making the Interactive Dock easier to find and open/close
The prompting filter and prompting parameter dialogs have changed with a new look. By default, a simpler prompting filter dialog (officially called the Simple With Operator Filter Execution Window) appears in place of the previous Standard Filter Execution Window. This can be overridden on a report-by-report and system-wide basis.
When the Incremental Loading feature is enabled, a link explaining the partial data set is displayed instead of an icon on the Report Viewer's toolbar.
The Admin Console > General > Feature/UI Settings > Default Designer Font Size has been changed from 8 to 10, to increase text readability and WCAG 2.0 Accessibility standards compliance.
Big changes continue for Dashboards in v2021.1!
By default, a new Admin Console Feature/UI Setting named Automatically Refresh Reports is set to False. This has the effect of preventing changes to tiles in the Dashboard Designer from triggering a complete reload of the data on that tile. By reducing the number of report executions, the Dashboard Designer will feel more responsive and the load on the network and data source servers is reduced. A new Refresh Reminder appears in the tiles and on the toolbar indicating that the tile is due for a refresh to show updated information.
When Automatically Refresh Reports is False, a placeholder image will be displayed when adding a new Existing Report Tile to a Dashboard until the tile is refreshed.
Dashboards with interactive filters can now pull the interactive filter values from the data source, then execute or re-execute their associated reports with those values in the data source. This can lead to considerable performance improvements, in some cases going from a couple of minutes of execution time to under ten seconds. A new setting for Data Objects in the Admin Console allows this behavior to be disabled on a per-object level.
The Suppress Detail Rows checkbox has been removed for the Existing Report tiles with an ExpressView in the Dashboard Designer.
Some styling changes to both the Dashboard Viewer and Dashboard Designer create a more unified appearance across the application
Added two new chart types available to ExpressView, Advanced Reports and Dashboards: Radar Charts and Stacked Area Charts.
New chart themes are available throughout the application wherever charts may be added to reports. Single series charts will now assign a single color to a series (a.k.a. a group) instead of a value.
The Storage Management Access Flags introduced in v2020.1 have been activated. The flags can be used to give fine grained control over access to themes, templates, folders and reports in the system on a per-user, per-company or per-user class level. Read more about the flags in Storage Management: Introduction.
The Access Flags setting in the Admin Console has been renamed Default Access Permission and has additional controls for affecting access to newly created content.
A new Update Reports button in the Admin Console generates additional metadata stored in the Storage Management database's content table.
The Storage Management Utility, a standalone tool for managing Storage Management database content has been re-written from the beginning and now supports Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Users can create, modify or delete content items, folders and content access records directly with the utility now. This application is available on the Downloads page of the Support Center.
The IStorageManagement methods have been virtualized, so the entire interface does not need to be re-implemented when only implementing some methods is desired.
-o command line parameter to the LoadReportsToDb Storage Management transitioning utility to set the command timeout
Fixed an issue where the LoadReportsToDb transitioning utility would not read the OwnerID from the intermediate JSON file as expected
Methods for accessing Storage Management have been added to the SOAP Web Service API to support clients utilizing this deprecated API
Fixed an issue the prevented Exago from connecting to a PostgreSQL Storage Management database with the NPGSQL driver on Linux
Please also review the What's New in Version 2021.1 article for more information regarding these features.
- Increased performance of in-memory sorting
- The name Categories has been replaced with Data Objects in all parts of the application that reference the tables, views, functions, stored procedures or custom SQL objects that reports retrieve data from
- DB2 data sources now support converting formula filters and sorts to SQL
- Added Switch() conditionals to the SQL formula translation library in dbconfigs.json so that formulas containing them can be executed in the data source
- Added translations for AND and OR operators with more than two arguments to the SQL formula translation library in dbconfigs.json
- Changes to the Storage Management implementation allow report properties (e.g. data objects/entities) to be retrieved programmatically versus first creating a ReportObject object in the API
- New CrossTab themes are available in the CrossTab Data Designer that match the new chart themes
- The default colors for Charts, GeoCharts, Google Maps, Gauges and Heatmaps have been changed to
#3B5BD2,#4E80F4,#95B3F8,#CAD8FB,#FDD9B2,#FCB467,#FE9001,#F87206. These can be changed in the Admin Console > Feature/UI Settings.
- Added XML validation for ExpressView reports executed by Scheduler Services. When an older ExpressView is executed on a newer Scheduler Service, it will be checked and updated if necessary.
- Added a new SourceId property to the Api.Common.ContentMetadata class that can be used to determine if a report being saved is new, being saved again or duplicated
- The REST Web Service API now allows loading reports with their content ID from the Storage Management database
- Improved performance in the Dashboard Designer by removing several extraneous cases where content in visualization tiles would indicate the need for a refresh
- Improved an error message that displays when a language file cannot be found
- Increased vertical padding on the nodes displayed in trees throughout the application (Report Tree, Data Objects pane, the list of folders in the Admin Console's Roles section, etc...
- The AutoSum icon has been disabled by default from the Advanced Report Designer's toolbar. The feature can be turned back on with a new Admin Console Feature/UI Setting named Show Auto Sum Button
- The internal log4net library has been updated to version 2.0.12
- The internal charting library (FusionCharts) has been updated to version 3.15.2
- The Advanced Report Designer's toolbar no longer collapses (hides icons) as screen size reduces. Instead, modules of icons will shift onto new lines keeping all icons visible
- The data type icons at the top of the Data Objects pane on the left side of the user interface have been removed
- The ETL feature has been removed from the product
- The ExpressView Tutorial and ExpressView Hints features have been removed
- Fixed an issue in the Dashboard Designer that prevented a report name and folder name from being selected when saving a visualization tile as an Advanced Report
- Fixed an issue with the Admin Console > General > Feature/UI Settings > Update All Application Themes button displaying an error when clicked
- Fixed an issue with the SQL generation for ExpressViews with sorts on a formula field or a field used in a formula
- Fixed an issue when executing a Dashboard containing a prompting parameter with a Parameter Dropdown Object
- Fixed an issue where the Display Value Field of a Parameter Dropdown Object would be applied to a report on a Dashboard if the Parameter Dropdown Object had unique Display Value Field and Value Field settings and the default value was chosen in the Dashboard Viewer
- Fixed an issue where filter dependency did not honor logical grouping with an OR conjunction
- Fixed an issue where changing the name of a report on an existing report tile on a Dashboard was not an Undoable action
- Fixed an issue where an error message would be displayed when accessing Exago cross-origin over HTTP with cookieless sessions turned off
- Fixed an issue where an error message would appear if filtering on a date field originating from an IBM DB2 or IBM Informix Data Object
- Fixed an issue where the New Report menu could flash or blink when the browser's cache is empty
- Fixed an issue where images uploaded to Advanced Report Cells in a Detail section would sometimes fail to load when Exago is hosted in a web farm environment
- Fixed an inconsistency with the name of filter operators across the Standard, Simple With Operator and Simple Without Operator Filter Execution Windows
- Fixed an inconsistency with the spelling of CrossTab used throughout the application
- Corrected the tooltip description of the LoadImage() function to indicate it must be the outermost function in a report cell
- Fixed an issue where the list of parameters on a scheduled report that includes a Custom SQL Parameter Dropdown Object would be empty when called with the REST Web Service API