Reports may be sent to recipients via email on a schedule. A scheduled report can be executed and emailed immediately or scheduled to be emailed on a recurring basis. Supported report types are Advanced Reports, Express Reports, CrossTab Reports, and Chained Reports (v2016.3+).
The Scheduler Menu lets you schedule and email reports or edit existing schedules.
To open the Scheduler Menu:
- In the Main Menu, select the report you want to schedule/email.
- Click the Scheduler Menu button (). The Schedule Menu will appear.
- To Schedule a report, click the new schedule button (). The Schedule Report Wizard will open in a new tab.
- To email a report, click the email button (). The Email Report Menu will appear.
- To edit existing schedules, click the edit schedule button (). The Schedule Manager will open in a new tab.
NOTE. If you do not see a Schedule Report button in the Main Menu, then you do not have Report Scheduler permissions and should contact your administrator.
Schedule Report Wizard
The Schedule Report Wizard has five sub tabs. The Recurrence and Recipients tabs are required, and the other tabs are optional.
- Recurrence: Specify the name and format of the report and when the report should be sent out.
- Parameters: (optional) Set values for any parameters used by the report.
- Filters: (optional) Add filters to the report.
- Batch: (optional) Set a list of recipients, each of whom will receive a unique filtered version of the report.
- Recipients: Specify the recipient addresses, subject, and body text of the email.
Click Finish, and the Scheduled Report will be saved and the tab will close.
In the Recurrence Tab, give the schedule a name and format. Set the frequency at which you want the report to be executed and sent out. This recurrence can be a one-time, daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly delivery. A date range can also be set to give the report delivery a defined start and end date.
- Give the Schedule a Name and select an export type from the drop-down.
- For PDF reports, a password may be set. The password may require a minimum number of upper/lowercase letters or numbers. To find out the required password strength, hover the mouse over the Password box.
- To execute and send the report immediately, check the ‘Execute Immediately’ box.
- Schedule Time
- Set the time of day the report should be executed by entering a time in the Schedule Time box.
- Check ‘Repeat every’ and then specify a time interval to have the schedule be sent on a recurring basis on the day(s) specified in as the Recurrence Pattern.
- Recurrence Patterns
- Once – Specify to execute the report on a specific day or immediately.
- Daily – Send the report every weekday or every set number of days.
- Weekly – Send the report on specific days of the week.
- Monthly – Set the day of the month to send the report.
- Yearly – Set the day of the year to send the report.
- Range of Recurrence
- Use the Range of Recurrence section to set a start date and an end date for the report schedule.
In the Parameters Tab, enter a value for each of the parameters listed.
NOTE. The Parameters Tab will only be visible if the report is utilizing parameters. See Parameters for more information.
In the Filters Tab, create statements to filter the data at runtime. There is no limit to the number of filters that you can define. Filters can be numeric (up to eight decimals) or alphanumeric.
- To filter a Data Field, either drag and drop it to the ‘Filter By’ panel, use the button or double-click it.
- Use the up () and down () arrows to indicate the filter priority.
- To remove a filter, click the delete button ().
- Set the operator (equal to, less than, one of, etc.) by selecting from the operator dropdown.
- To set the value on which to filter, either enter it manually or select from the dropdown. If the Data Field is a date, you may use the calendar or function buttons to select a value.
- To allow the filter to be modified at the time the report is executed, check ‘Prompt for Value.’
- Use the And/Or dropdown to specify the relationship between filters. Choose AND to require that the selected filter and the one below it both be true. Choose OR to require that either be true.
- Check ‘Group With Next Filter’ to specify the precedence of the filters. Filters can be nested indefinitely by using the following keyboard shortcuts while a filter is selected:
- Ctrl + [ adds an open-parenthesis before the selected filter.
- Ctrl + ] adds a close-parenthesis after the selected filter.
- Ctrl + Shift + [ removes an open-parenthesis from before the selected filter.
- Ctrl + Shift + ] removes a close-parenthesis from after the selected filter.
Check the 'Run as Batch Report' box to enable batch execution for the report.
NOTE. If you don't see this option, your administrator may have disabled it.
Reports can be executed and emailed en masse to a list of addresses, each one filtered by a unique key. For example, a report containing data on a number of employees may be executed such that each employee receives an email containing a version of the report filtered on their own ID.
In order to use batch reporting, a table or other data structure must exist which contains a list of email addresses, each associated with a key used to filter the report. Each row may contain optional columns that can be used as parameters in the email message body using the form '@batch_columnName@'.
The email address table must have a join path defined to a table in the report. It does not need to be added to the report.
- Enter an (optional) Batch Summary Email to send an email which will summarize the result of the batch report execution.
- In the Batch Email Field, select the field in the email address table that contains the addresses to use when sending the completed reports.
In the Recipients Tab, determine how the schedule will be delivered and list the email address(es) to which the report should be sent. Email addresses should be separated by a semi-colon (;).
- Check ‘Email Results’ to have the report sent via email. Uncheck this option to have it saved to a repository.
- An 'Attach Report Output to Email' checkbox will be available when using batch reporting. Uncheck this option to prevent the reports from being attached to the recipient emails.
- In the To field, set the email address(es) to which the report will be delivered.
- In the Cc field, set any address(es) to be carbon copied.
- In the Bcc field, set any address(es) to be blind carbon copied.
NOTE. When using batch reporting, the To, Cc, and Bcc fields are disabled.
- Set the subject of the email in the Subject field.
- In the Body field, enter the text of the email to be sent with the report. To reference the report name use '@reportName@'. To reference any batch parameters, use '@batch_columnName@', where columnName is one of the columns in the email address table.
In the Scheduler Menu, use the icon () to email a report. An input field and execute button will appear.
- In the input field, enter the email address.
- Click the dropdown arrow to change the format of the report.
- Click the execute button to run and email the report.
NOTE. Reports may only be emailed as downloadble file types (ie, Excel, PDF, RTF, CSV).
Manage Scheduled Reports
Scheduled Reports can be monitored, edited, and removed using the Manage Scheduled Reports tab. To open the tab, click the scheduler icon () in the Main Menu then click (). The Manage Scheduled Reports tab will appear.
- Click at the top of a column to sort the scheduled reports by that column.
- To update the status and list new schedules click the Refresh button.
- To remove completed and deleted schedules, click the Flush button.
- Click the Edit icon () to open the Schedule Report Wizard and modify the report.
- To delete a schedule click the delete icon ().