After running a report to the Report Viewer, you can make further modifications to the report's style, formatting, and content. These changes can be exported to other formats, saved to the original report, or saved as a separate copy of the report depending on the settings.
For these interactions to be available, they must be enabled in the Report Viewer Options Menu in the Report Designer.
While viewing a report in the Report Viewer, right-click a cell to open the style menu. Using this menu, you can change font, size, foreground and background color, bold, italic, underline, and alignment options.
The columns of a report can be resized by dragging the light grey bar at the top of the page to the desired size.
Applying Interactive Filters
Any available interactive filters can be enabled by clicking the plus button () in the Filters section of the Interactive Reviewer Dock which is located next to the report.
NOTE. Interactive filters must be defined in the Interactive Report Viewer Options Menu. Additional filters can be created directly on the report by right-clicking within the Report Viewer. See Conditional Filters below for more details.
After enabling a filter, use the checkbox, dropdown, or slider to select what values should appear on the report. After selecting a value, the report will refresh with the filter applied.
Click the () to remove an active filter. The report will refresh to deactivate the filter.
You can set filters on specific values in addition to the pre-defined interactive filters by interacting with the report in the Report Viewer.
To create a conditional filter, right-click on a cell of the report, choose an operator from the ‘Apply To’ dropdown, then click the filter button ().
The conditional filter will appear in the Dock below the interactive filters and sorts.
In the dock next to the report, you can change the direction of any sorts on the report by clicking the ascending () and descending () buttons.
Additionally, you can sort by individual columns of the report by clicking on the light grey bar at the top of the page.
In the dock next to the report, you can show/hide the columns of the report by checking/unchecking the column names.
Saving & Clearing Changes
Changes to styling, column sizes, sorts, and filters can be saved in a number of ways.
In the toolbar above the report:
- Using the Clear drop down (), you can remove any changes made to the report.
- Use the Save button () to save interactive changes onto the report.
- Use the Save as New Report button () to make a copy of the report with the changes.
- Use the ‘Save Changes as User Report’ option under the ‘Save Options’ dropdown to save your changes as a User Report. The changes will be applied each time you run the report but will not be seen when the same report is run by another user.
- Use the ‘Delete User Report’ option under the ‘Save Options’ dropdown to remove any changes that were saved as User Report.
Exporting to Other Formats
From the Report Viewer, you can export a report, including any interactive changes, to other formats such as Excel, PDF, RTF, or CSV. To do so, use the export button in the toolbar above the report and select the export format.
Interactive Report Viewer Options
Hover over ‘Options’ in the Toolbar dropdown and then click on the ‘Report Viewer’ menu to open the Report Viewer Options Menu. This window allows you to control what interactive capabilities a user has when viewing reports.
- Uncheck ‘Show Grid’ to disable grid lines.
- Uncheck ‘Simulate PDF’ to have the report appear as though it is not on a page.
- Uncheck ‘Allow Hide/Show Columns on Execution’ to disable the Hide Columns tools.
Interactive Filters are filters created on either Data Fields or Formulas and then enabled after running a report to the report viewer.
- To filter a Data Field, either drag and drop it to the ‘Filter’ panel, use the ‘Add’ button, or double-click it. To filter by a formula, first add a Data Field, then use the formula button () to open the Formula Editor.
- In the Title box, provide a name for the interactive filter.
- Use the Type dropdown to specify what kind of interactive filter to display:
- Single Choice: A dropdown with the possible values of the filter.
- Multiple Choice: All possible values for the filter presented with check boxes to select a one or more values.
- Single Slider: Select the filter value by sliding a point along a scale.
- Range Slider: A scale that displays values between two points.
- Click the Format button () to open the format menu and specify how the filter values should be displayed.
- If filtering on an Aggregate formula such as AggSum() use the ‘Calculate Value Ever’ dropdown to select on which sorted field or category the aggregate should be applied.
- Use the ‘Value Sort Direction’ to specify if the filter values should display in ascending or descending order.
- Check the ‘Initially Display Filter on Panel’ box to have the filter enabled automatically when the report is run to the viewer.
Interactive sorts can be used to change the direction of a report’s Sorts while viewing the report in the Report Viewer
- Uncheck ‘Display sorts on Execution’ to hide interactive sorts in the Report Viewer.
- In the Title column, provide a name for each interactive sort.