This application consists of two sections. On the left is the Main Menu and on the right are Tabs. The Main Menu displays the available reports, folders, and buttons. Tabs can contain the New Report Wizard, report outputs, design windows, or help pages.
Through the Main Menu, you can:
- Create new reports
- Search for reports
- Read report descriptions
- Run Reports
- Export reports to other types (Excel, PDF, RTF, and CSV)
- Duplicate reports to save time setting up similar reports
- Edit reports
- Schedule reports to be emailed or archived
- Manage folders and report storage
The main menu, depending on system configuration, has three or four mode icons on the left-side. They are:
- Create New Report
- Browse Reports
- View Data Objects
- View Scheduled Manager
The active mode is indicated with a blue icon, for example when the Browse Reports mode is selected, the icon looks like this: . Click on the icons to change the Main Menu mode or click on the currently active icon to collapse the main menu and hide it. To show the main menu again, click on any of the icons.
The Report Tree contains the individual user's view of their applicable Folders/Sub-Folders and the Reports contained within them. Folders that are marked as Read Only cannot be modified in any way (as designated by the administrator), with the Reports and Sub-Folders within inheriting the same permissions (unless otherwise specified).
A user can view a list of a folder's contents by double-clicking the folder name or by left-clicking the dropdown arrow next to the folder name. Right-clicking the folder name will bring bring up an options menu.
Right-Click options are location- and item-specific.
Right-Clicking on Folders
If a user right-clicks on a non Read Only folder within the Report Tree, a menu with the following options appears:
- Add Root Folder: Allows the user to create a new folder in which to place the existing folder.
- Add Child Folder: Allows the user to create a new folder within the existing folder.
- New...: Allows a user to add a new report to the folder and specify the report type.
- Rename: Allows the user to rename the folder.
- Delete: Allows the user to delete the folder.
A folder and all of its sub-folders must be empty in order to delete the folder.
- Expand All: Expand the contents of the relevant folder, including all of its sub-folders
- Collapse All: Collapses the contents of the relevant folder, including all of its sub-folders.
Right-Clicking on Reports
If a user right-clicks on a report, a prompt with the following options appears:
- Edit: Opens the Report Designer screen for the selected report.
- Run Report: Executes the report and displays it in HTML format.
- Export As: Allows the user to execute a report in any of the following formats:
- Microsoft Excel Workbook
If one of these export types is unavailable, it may have been disabled by your administrator.
- Schedule Report: Allows the user to schedule a report to run immediately, at a later time, or at regular intervals. For more information on scheduling reports, please see Scheduling a Report.
- Email Report: This allows a user to Email a report immediately to a specified email address. Clicking the an Export As option allows the user to specify the export format type.
- Rename: Allows the user to rename the report.
If a user renames a Report that is used within a Dashboard, Chained Report, or a Scheduled Report, an error message will appear when attempting to Execute or otherwise modify the aforementioned Report types.
- Duplicate: This allows a user to duplicate a report and place it in a specified folder
- Delete: This allows a user to Delete a selected report.
Report Descriptions Window
This window displays the description of the selected report. If the report was never given a description, this window remains blank when the report is selected in the Report Tree. For more info on Report Descriptions, please see Report Types.
Tabs make up the application's main interface. This is where users build, design, and view reports as well as access dashboards and help pages. Tabs can be closed by clicking the Close Tab icon to the right of the tab name.
Tabs can be rearranged by clicking and dragging them left or right.
Right-clicking on a tab displays additional Tab options, such as closing the tab or closing all other tabs.
Once a report has been created and opened in the report designer, the user may interact with it using the Toolbar.
For application versions pre-v2019.2:
The Toolbar enables users to:
- Rename the report.
- Add, modify, or remove sorts and filters.
- Format cells’ font, font size, alignment, color, and borders.
- Use the Formula Editor to create complex functions.
- Insert charts, gauges, and images.
- Link reports, allowing users to drilldown for more detail.
- Save the report.
- Run the report in the Report Viewer.
- Export the report to Excel, CVS, RTF, or PDF.
- Add or remove Data Categories from the report.
- Add an Action Event. (If you do not see this option, your administrator may have disabled it.)
Clicking on the User Preferences icon in the top-right corner of the window opens the User Preferences dialog. The User Preferences dialog contains three tabs: Tutorials, Startup Reports and User Reports.
These User Preferences are stored through cookies, server events, or an external interface per the system administrator's settings.
The system administrator can disable some of these preferences, so they not all be available in your environment.
The ExpressView Designer contains a tutorial that walks first-time users through building their first one. It also has helpful hints that will pop-up throughout the building process. These features can be turned on or off from this tab.
- ExpressView Tutorial: check the checkbox to show the tutorial when launching the ExpressView Designer.
- ExpressView Hints: check the checkbox to enable the building hints. Hints can be individually hidden from the ExpressView Designer. When this checkbox is checked, only those hints that have not been individually hidden will be displayed.
- Reset All Hints: click this link to clear the hidden preferences of the individual hints. If ExpressView Hints is checked, the next time the ExpressView Designer is launched, all of the hints will be displayed.
Startup Reports Tab
A startup report is a report, Dashboard or ExpressView that runs automatically when the Web Application is launched. Instead of showing the Getting Started page, the startup reports are displayed.
To add a startup report, navigate to it in the dialog's report tree and then either drag it to the box on the right, or click the Add button at the bottom of the report tree. The system administrator can limit the number of startup reports each user may have.
Use the Move Row Up and Move Row Down icons to change the order of the startup reports.
Use the Delete icon to remove a startup report. This only stops the report from loading on startup, it does not remove the report from the application.
A user report is a report that has certain customization placed on it by an individual user from within the Report Viewer. For example, a user might make certain filter value selections.
Any of your user reports will be shown in this list. User reports may be deleted by clicking on the Delete icon on the corresponding report row. User reports are added from within the Report Viewer.
Clicking on the Contextual Help icon in the top-right corner of the window walks the user through specific portions of the application. This context-sensitive help menu is indexed and completely searchable, granting the user easy access to all information.
To learn more about getting started, continue with Report Types.